Mailing: Washington County Registry of Deeds | P. O. Box 297 | Machias, ME 04654
Physical: 85 Court Street | Machias, Maine
Phone: 207-255-6512 | Fax: 207-255-3838
Download these forms:
|Instructions to the Real Estate Transfer Tax Form|
|Real Estate Transfer Tax - Tax Rates|
The Washington County Registry of Deeds records various public documents, including:
- Divorce decrees
- Court records
- Land surveys
- For tax map information contact the desired municipal office.
The Register is elected to a four year term, appoints a deputy, and may appoint the staff required to record and verify the authenticity of the records being filed.
Before they are filed, documents are verified and indexed in a variety of ways so that staff and the public can access them in an efficient manner.
Documents are digitized for computer access beginning in 1945 (through virtual books) to present.
Note: Washington County Maine was a part of Lincoln County, District of Massachusetts until June 25, 1789. As a result, any Washington County deeds through that date will be found in Lincoln County; everything after that date is available in the Registry of Deeds, lower level of the Washington County Court House.
Available at the Registry are: Deeds, Recorded State Highway Road and Land Survey Plans, Mortgages, Assignments, Partial Releases, Liens, Discharges, Abstract of divorces, Leases, Foreclosures, Affidavits along with other miscellaneous documents.
Printing from the Maine Land Records website is free for the first 500 pages for non-subscribers.
The recording fees are set by statute:
- Public - $22.00 for the 1st page and $2.00 for each page thereafter.
- Towns - $19.00 for the 1st page and $2.00 for each page thereafter.
- Transfer Tax Fee is calculated at $2.20 per $500.00 or fractional part thereof. If you have a question what a transfer amount is or whether it might be an exempt transaction, please contact the registry at 255-6512.
- There is an additional charge of $1.00 per name if there are more than four names to be indexed on each document.
- Photocopy Fees are $1.00 per page plus postage if we have to mail them.
- Fax Fees are $1.00 per page plus a $3.00 fax fee if out of state and $1.00 per page plus a $2.00 fax fee if local or a 1-800 number.
- Survey copies are $5 per page.